Good news today! I am happy to report that I (and family members) are now in our 8th year of successfully using probiotics to treat and conquer sinusitis. This includes both chronic sinusitis and regular sinus infections. Yes! This means no antibiotics or any other antibacterial has been used in more than 7 years.
We have accomplished this by using the amazing probiotic (beneficial bacteria) Lactobacillus sakei. I started with using kimchi back in 2013 after I read interesting research. But in the last few years I've used the refrigerated product Lanto Sinus, which contains a kimchi-derived strain of Lactobacillus sakei.
Since this blog started in 2013, I have heard from hundreds of people and the majority agree with me - Lactobacillus sakei works great as a sinusitis treatment! [See Best Probiotics For Sinusitis for details on results and products used.]
Important things I've learned about Lactobacillus sakei over the years:
- Only use it when needed, when there are some sinus symptoms or you're sliding towards sinusitis. Just like with antibiotics, you shouldn't take it daily and routinely.
- Swishing a product like Lanto Sinus in the mouth alone is a gentle and cautious way to use the product. Using it in the nostrils is a stronger way to use the product.
- Don't overdo it. This means don't use too damn much, such as shooting it in the nostrils in a nasal rinse (e.g., 1 gram in a bottle full of water). Using a little bit in the nostrils (as described in Sinusitis Treatment Summary methods) is sufficient. Let the little buggers travel on their own throughout the sinuses - and they do!
- Use for a few days and reevaluate if that was enough. Many times the sinuses keep improving even after stopping Lactoabcillus sakei. One can always use more if needed.
- If Lactobacillus sakei works for a person, it can feel miraculous as sinusitis symptoms disappear, frequently within a few days. On the other hand, it doesn't work for everyone and only self-experimentation determines whether it does - after all, everyone's sinus microbiome is different.
- Lactobacillus sakei alone is enough to treat sinusitis. Don't need fancy concoctions or fancy protocols. When I use it, it takes me under 1 minute a day!
- The sinus microbiome slowly improves over the years, so we are using less and less of Lanto Sinus over time. At the same time, we noticed that we are getting fewer and fewer upper respiratory infections. Amazing!
That's it. Hopefully this offers hope to those who have suffered for years with repeated sinus infections.
I also want to mention that I'm a consultant for Lanto Health, but that's because I really like the Lactobacillus sakei strain used in Lanto Sinus.
2 thoughts on “Good News Regarding Probiotics For Sinusitis and Sinus Health”
I have chronic sinusitis and LPR since I was 4 years old due to multiple allergies to pets, foods like dairy and environmental dust etc..etc..a miserable life with chronic throat clearing and thick sinus drainage. I've been on mult antibiotics and now at past age 60 I am wearing out from all the treatments that have only made me worse. I will be trying the Kimchi cure but what about the horrid reflux creating the perfect storm in my throat and sinuses. Any probiotics or ideas to help both these diseases? Western medicine has given up on me but that is ok because they did all they could do for my poor body.
Based on personal experiences, and comments from others, the reflux (which sounds like it might actually be post nasal drip) will improve and go away if Lactobacillus sakei or some other probiotic works for your sinusitis.
But once you feel OK - stop any treatments.