Skip to content

New Lactobacillus Sakei Product For Sinusitis

Big announcement today! The high quality product Lacto Sinus, which contains the probiotic Lactobacillus sakei specifically for sinus health, is now available. This product contains an excellent strain of Lactobacillus sakei that is kimchi derived. Lactobacillus sakei is the one probiotic (beneficial bacteria) that has successfully treated the chronic sinusitis of many people, including all members of my family. It has been an amazing journey - and since using Lactobacillus sakei our sinuses feel great, and we have not had to use antibiotics in 5+ years! A win-win.

More than 5 years ago I read research about the sinus microbiome (microbial community), and how chronic sinusitis sufferers lack the keystone bacteria Lactobacillus sakei that successfully treats sinusitis. There were no probiotics with L. sakei available back then. None. But we (my family) were able to successfully treat chronic sinusitis with live kimchi, which can contain Lactobacillus sakei (see Sinusitis Treatment Story). Kimchi is a wonderful product, but... with kimchi you never know if you're getting L. sakei, and even then it dies off rapidly. We went on to experiment with other products for years, with none of them ideal. So it is great that finally, after all these years, a product like Lacto Sinus is now available.

Nice things about Lacto Sinus are that the Lactobacillus sakei strain is kimchi derived (an excellent strain!), the product holds up well, it is in powder form, easy to use, and it only needs to be refrigerated. (That's right, it's meant to be refrigerated, and not frozen.) Since it also holds up well for a time without refrigeration, it also ships well. (After all, L. sakei lives and multiplies in our sinuses at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.) Lacto Sinus is sold by Lacto Health, and shipped from the NJ/NY metro area. Lacto Sinus is a high quality product that is produced with Good Manufacturing Practices, and is lab tested and verified.

Gentle, yet strong. It is being sold as a probiotic dietary supplement for sinus health. It comes in powder form with directions stating to mix with a little bottled water or take it dry, and swallow - after all, it is a dietary supplement. Lacto Sinus comes with a little spoon for ease of use. The product is meant to be used when needed for sinus support (when there are sinusitis symptoms).

I want to mention that I have been a consultant to the company, and have been testing the product for over a year. As usual, I self-experimented to see what works best for me - but of course, only using it when needed (for example, if I start to slide into sinusitis after a cold). After 5 years of self-experimentation (as I've described in posts) my sinus microbiome has improved, so at this point I only need to use a little bit for successful results. What has worked for me is swishing a little of the dry powder in the mouth, and then swallow, and not drink or eat for a least 30 minutes after that (to let it travel to the sinuses). Yes, I like the product a lot!

By the way, the advice to use only when needed - should be applied to any probiotic  supplement that is used as a sinusitis treatment or for sinus support. And as I describe in The One Probiotic That Treats Sinusitis - based on my family's experiences and many people contacting me - most people are helped by Lactobacillus sakei, but not all. Unfortunately there is no way to know if L. sakei will treat a person's sinusitis unless it is tried. By the way, it does not appear to treat allergies or allergy symptoms.

Finally, I want to point out that currently all probiotics in the United States are sold as dietary supplements and not as treatments. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) at this time does not allow any medical treatment claims for any probiotic sold. Using a probiotic dietary supplement in ways other than label directions is SELF-EXPERIMENTATION. [See Sinusitis Treatment Summary page for self-experimentation details - the different ways people use L. sakei products.]

[UPDATE: Read the The Best Probiotic For Sinus Infections - results from many people using Lactobacillus sakei and other probiotic sinusitis treatments.]

26 thoughts on “New Lactobacillus Sakei Product For Sinusitis

1. Sima

Maybe in the future, but not at the current time.
      Update: The product is now available in many European countries.

1. Sima

Probably one would get a larger dose at once by smearing/dabbing a water & powder mixture in the nostrils, but.... it worked fine for me just swishing in the mouth. The other thing is that this is my 6th year since I started using a L. sakei product and I need less at this point.

1. Peggy Phlegm

Thanks! I might try it directly in my nostrils so that it will be more obvious if it is effective. I have a hard time following through with things if I have doubts about the efficacy.

2. Nick

I’ve used Lacto Sinus both ways this summer and both worked for me
      I used the powder mixed with bottled water in the nostrils when I first tried it and it worked well. Started seeing improvement in a day or so. Then I tried the powder in the mouth later on and that worked also. I would say to try using it different ways.

1. Susi V

I have been using the new Lacto Sinus product (1/2 the dose making a paste and putting in my nostrils and 1/2 straight into my mouth in powder form, both easy for me) for about 3 weeks, so far no change. How long does it typically take before people notice improvement. Also curious if it is recommended to stop daily steroid spray and saline rinse?!? Really wanting to maximize the effect of the Lacto Sinus however I can and not sure if having other things in my sinuses will be counterproductive... THANKS! This site is so informative:)

1. Sima

People typically have improvement in the first week, and some take about 2 weeks of intense use of L. sakei.
      As I've written in the post The One Probiotic That Treats Sinusitis - most people have positive effects from L. sakei, but there is a group (I think a minority) that it doesn't seem to have an effect. And you may fit into this group.
      Perhaps you would respond better to other products - such as kimchi (many species of bacteria), or a multistrain probiotic with other Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium species (open capsule and pour powder on tongue, swish, swallow, don't eat or drink for about 1/2 hour to give the bacteria a chance to travel to sinuses - this is a gentle and safe way to try other beneficial bacteria species).
      In the meantime, it's OK swishing the L. sakei powder in the mouth and swallowing for more days - research shows it is beneficial for the gut and skin!
      Researchers agree that sinusitis sufferers have sinus microbial communities that are unbalanced or out of whack (dysbiosis) - but which microbial species will help treat the sinusitis may vary for some people. This research area is in its infancy so to see what works is a process of self-experimentation.
      Good luck!

1. Susi V

thanks for the quick response! I have been eating kimchi (and occasionally putting that in my nostrils too), but I will try to do that every day. Is there a specific multistrain probiotic that you recommend?

1. Sima

No specific brand - just look for an assortment of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium bacteria. I would look for a refrigerated product, and see if one helps you. And perhaps even try different brands with different assortments of microbes. Swishing in the mouth and swallowing is a gentle way to see if there are any positive or negative effects.
          The only bacteria that I would hesitate to try is Streptococcus salivarius K12 (also called BlisK12) - a number of people (myself included) with a history of sinusitis found it brings on sinusitis symptoms (just by swallowing the pills!). And I would not put any probiotic containing titanium dioxide in the nostrils (nanoparticles can travel where you don't want them to).
          By the way, even if a specific probiotic or bacteria (incl. L. sakei) doesn't seem to have any effect now - it may have beneficial effects when tried months later. It seems that our sinus microbial communities go through changes.

I have not received feedback about putting a steroid spray in the saline rinse. But I do know people have sprayed steroid sprays into the nostrils on the same days (but not at the same time) as L. sakei treatments and also when using saline rinses - and that seems to be OK. The steroid sprays are anti-inflammatory and don't directly kill bacteria.

1. Susi V

Thanks again for your speedy and thoughtful response! Can’t tell you how much I have appreciated everything I have learned from you...

1. Sima

Not at this time. I do know that the sausage starter culture B-2 (only L. sakei) is available though.

2. Jimmy J

I tried the product a few weeks ago and it works great! The sinusitis I've had for many years is finally gone. Thanks for all the information that you post.

3. Neil

Hello,

Thanks for the referral to Lacto Health. I am in California and my concern is the delivery time and temperature sensitivity since they are located in New Jersey. Overnight delivery costs from $37 to $51, depending on carrier. In your opinion how long can the bacteria outside before they start dying off? What is that maximum temperature? Have you done any studies on survivability at different shipment times?

1. Sima

These are good questions.
      Lactobacillus sakei lives and multiplies in our bodies at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, so it can definitely handle warmth. And at ordinary room temperatures the product Lacto Sinus holds up well for over 3 weeks.
      I do know that the product has been lab tested and the quality verified after lengthy shipping with a variety of temperatures (cool, warm, and hot) and it was totally fine.

According to scientific research, at 140 degrees F and higher all cells start to die. Thus, in extremely hot conditions overnight shipping is best.

My personal opinion is that faster shipping is generally better for all refrigerated products.
      By the way, no matter what kind of shipping is chosen, the product Lacto Sinus is shipped with an ice pack during warm months. [Note: The ice pack will melt during shipping - this is normal. It has done its job keeping the product cool during the trip.]

4. Stephen

Hi Sima, have you looked into the possibility of inhalation of lacto sinus or kimchi? I’m assuming that lactobacillus Sakei or lacto sinus would not survive in boiling water?

1. Sima

No Lactobacillus species will survive boiling water, so I don't know how one can inhale it deliberately (as a steam vapor), whether in a product or kimchi. Nasal sprays with probiotics are in the future.
      The current best alternative is to swish in the mouth, and then not drink or eat for a bit (to give the bacteria a chance to travel to the sinuses, throat, etc).

5. Julia

I just received the Lacto Sinus yesterday. I put 1/8 tsp. in a paste in nostrils, and 1/8 tsp. by mouth last evening. This morning / today I am extremely groggy and my eyes are tearing. My symptoms seem worse. I have not done anything else differently (I used a steroid nasal spray maybe an hour before the Lacto Sinus.) Are you aware of others having such a reaction - especially the grogginess? Can this make you feel worse before better? Should I use less? Thank you for any feedback you can give me.

1. Sima

Oh no. I have not heard of those symptoms. Several possibilities: the L. sakei for some reason died enroute during shipping. Or perhaps an allergic response. Perhaps the steroid nasal spray. I also think that mixing a paste and putting it in the nostrils delivered an extremely high dose of the product. Normally mixing 1/8 teaspoon into 1/4 cup of water results in a liquid mixture that can be dabbed a little into the nostrils - once or twice perhaps (and one doesn't see any residue in the nostrils). The safest and most gentle way to test L. sakei is to just swish a little only in the mouth, and then not eat or drink for a bit. This is how I use the product.

If you want to try again, wait at least a few days before trying it again, and then only swish a little bit (maybe 1/8 tsp) in the mouth. Not in the nostrils.
      A few people have reported taking a mega dose (not advised!) - and that it took a day or 2 to go back to normal. A main symptom is feeling that their mouth is very dry, and also their sinuses. But then usually the sinuses were improved.
      A person with acute sinusitis can find the same reactions as with antibiotics when using L. sakei: first day they stop getting worse, then they drain, and then it gets better.
      If you think it was a matter of "too much" of the L. sakei, then can try swishing in the mouth (one time) an ordinary multistrain probiotic with other Lactobacillus and perhaps Bifidobacterium species to see if that restores balance. This is all self-experimentation. Especially since every person's sinus microbial community (microbiome) is different. Perhaps L. sakei doesn't work for you.
      By the way, that strain of L. sakei has been tested in clinical trials and considered very safe. So that's good.
      Hope you feel better soon.

1. Julia

Thank you so much for your response, Sima. I really appreciate it. I did use a lot of the paste, applying it a few times in my nostrils. I will certainly follow your advice. I am discouraged b/c I was really hoping that this was going to help. I've tended to have sinus headaches for years off and on, but have had more issues since August or so. My sense of taste is compromised; I have a bitter/salty taste in my mouth which seems to come from a post-nasal "drip," but don't have much noticeable mucous though my nose is a bit runny. When I took amoxicillin for a root canal I seemed to have a cold for about 2 weeks so likely my sinuses were draining, but the issue was not resolved. I tried a nasal irrigator but it seemed to increase the pressure in my sinuses somewhat and didn't help. Steam inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil seems helpful. I finally went to the doctor and have been using the steroid spray for about 2 weeks, and taking an antihistamine (at night only) - this seems to have helped somewhat. I've been told, many many years ago, that I have allergies to dust and mould - I wonder if that might suggest a possible allergic reaction to this probiotic? In any case I will wait and perhaps try the approach you've suggested after a few days. Thanks again for your help!

6. Karen

I'm wondering about what it means to use L Sakei "only when needed." If the idea is that our sinus biome is out of whack so that bacteria can easily multiply, and L Sakei helps to bring things back to balance, wouldn't we just want to use it just "every so often," just to restore and ensure balance? After all, people take other probiotics fairly regularly, eat probiotic yogurt every day, etc. In any case, I just started using L Sakei a week ago, after reading this blog and placing an order for Lacto Sinus. I had noticed signs that I was starting to get a sinus infection but hadn't gotten very sick yet. It does seem to possibly be helping. The early symptoms of a sinus infection have *not* turned into a full-blown infection this time, and that's usually what would have happened by now. So what would be the downside of taking L Sakei over a long time period? Thanks so much for the helpful information here, by the way.

1. Karen

Sorry, I read more carefully and saw where you explained that overuse can make the sinuses feel dry and may cause light-headedness, etc. Thanks!

2. Sima

Excellent questions - I've been thinking about this for years. I would say no to taking L. sakei if one feels good (no need for booster treatments), but yes if sliding into sinusitis. You used L. sakei in a good way - as needed when starting a cold and showing symptoms. And so it worked well.
      It appears L. sakei is in tiny amounts in healthy sinuses - but it has a huge effect. So we don't need to put it into the sinuses daily when feeling fine. Overusing any L. sakei product, including kimchi, eventually brings on a feeling of imbalance. After all, there's a whole microbial community in the sinuses. I think this is more likely to occur if dabbing kimchi or L. sakei/water in the nose when feeling healthy. [see Problem With A Product Suddenly Not Working, Or Overuse section in post.]
      My sense is that one can avoid that problem by swishing it dry in the mouth, and only using when needed (starting some symptoms). Self-experimentation will answer when it works best for a person.
      By the way, clinical trials of L. sakei for eczema/dermatitis has shown it to be fine for several months when taken orally (the mouth).